sabato 11 maggio 2013

Rollei RPX100, first medium format experience

The Rollei RPX100 was presented as a Agfapan APX 100 successor. Is it really? I don't know. It is a traditional film and it is coated ona classic base instead of polyester like many modern Avio-derived Rollei/Agfa offers.
I already used the film with success in 35mm, yielding results which are similar to the mythical AgfaPan, but which also reminds me a bit of the Ilford FP4+.
I found it to have very nice tones and exceptional shadow detail and richness. The grain is present, not disturbing, but not exceptionally fine grained. A bit less than FP4, but still visible, not on par with Tmax or Acros, however pleasant. This is why I thought that in medium format the film must give its best.

This is my first experiment in Medium Format. The 120 Rollfilm appears to use the same base as the 35mm film, so it is a bit thicker and darker than one is accustomed. However, the final results are very good. I am still working with developers, testing between Rodinal and Studional (and its modern alilkes with different names).
Here ad development with standard Rodinal. 58x72mm coming out from the Linhof are a beauty of tones, richness in detail (thanks to the exceptional Tessar lens too). Definitely a combination I will use again


H&D F-Head, Linhof, Tessar 105/3.5 RPX100

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento